When It’s Ok to Turn a Do Into a Don’t


Using "Do Statements" to shape positive behavior; Removing the Stumbling Block

I can’t honestly think of too many times when it's "ok" to turn a do into a don’t. Actually, it’s typically just the opposite, especially with children. When trying to help shape a child’s behavior or teach a child a value, it’s far more effective to use positive language. For example, instead of “don’t run”, it’s a better choice to say, “walk” (the do is implied, of course).  

I feel strongly that we should all try to use "do statements" in both parenting and in teaching.

Nonetheless, I will break from my own advice for a moment. Once you watch this video called "Don't Limit Me", I think you will understand why.

 

With thanks to Cindy Barclay of Surprising Treasures for bringing this special video to my attention.



Don't (see what I did there?) miss a post from Removing the Stumbling Block:


1 comment:

  1. Lisa- I think we think alike! I try to put everything from the positive :) As I watched Megan articulate so clearly, I began to see that even I can limit Bethany (oh, I like to think I'm her biggest advocate) but I "heard" something in Megan that pushed me farther as a mom- I not only want to advocate for Bethany- I want to EMPOWER her to think and advocate for herself. I'm so glad you're sharing the video clip! it's amazing to me!

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like:

Do not publish, curate, sell, post, or distribute all or any part of this blog's content without express permission of the author. You are invited, however, to share links to posts on your webpage, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and other social networking sites. If you are interested in republishing any Removing the Stumbling Block content on your own blog, in a newsletter, or if you wish to use any content in another educational way, please contact me. I am also available to write unique content for your specific network.